Thursday, November 25, 2010
Agliotti’s case ‘no run of the mill’
25 November 2010, 00:11
The case against Brett Kebble murder accused Glenn Agliotti was no “run of the mill” criminal trial, Judge Frans Kgomo told the High Court in Johannesburg on Thursday.
“This case is about hidden agendas perpetrated by shady characters as well as ostensibly crooked or greedy business persons... this case is about corrupt civil servants as well as prominent politicians or politically connected people wining and dining with devils under cover of darkness,” Kgomo told the court.
He was in the process of handing down a ruling on whether Agliotti would be discharged in terms of section
174 of the criminal procedure act.
Kgomo was describing the complex case in which current Sport Minister Fikile Mbalula and payments made to former national police commissioner Jackie Selebi were alluded to.
Kgomo noted that there was a “power play” unfolding in the now defunct Scorpions special investigative and prosecuting unit and added that the case played “second fiddle” to the Selebi prosecution.
Selebi is currently in the process of appealing his 15-year corruption sentence, in which Agliotti was a witness.
Kgomo then adjourned for tea.
Agliotti is facing four charges - two of conspiracy to commit murder, one count of attempted murder and another of murder.
The murder charge relates to the Kebble shooting in Melrose, north of Johannesburg.
One conspiracy charge relates to the plot to kill Allan Gray auditor Stephen Mildenhall, Jean Daniel Nortier, Dr Mark Bristow and Mark Wellesley Woods. The other is for planning to kill Kebble.
The attempted murder charge relates to the shooting of Mildenhall in Cape Town in August 2005. - Sapa
Comments by Sonny
Is this what our Judicial System has become?
The trigger-men get off scott free and the co-conspirator is the overhaul Hero!!
The two main investigators end up Assholes!!
Gerry Nel, which one are YOU?
Agliotti relieved but angry
25 November 2010, 00:11
Glenn Agliotti was “relieved”, but still “angry” after he was found not guilty of the murder of mining magnate Brett Kebble at the High Court in Johannesburg on Thursday.
“I am relieved... justice was done, justice wasn't only done, it was seen to be done,” he said.
“I am angry at the same time.”
Agliotti was arrested in 2006 for the slaying of the mining magnate and further charges were added earlier this year, before the trial commenced.
Judge Frans Kgomo was harsh on the prosecution and the investigators in handing down his judgment.
said he will now spend time with his friends and family.
He does not yet know whether he will take any action against the State.
“We will have to wait and see.”
The ruling followed an application by his legal team for the case to be discharged. - Sapa