Monday, April 25, 2011
New steps to curb corrupt civil servants
New steps to curb corrupt civil servants
25 April 2011
Incoherent corruption fight, says Pikoli
Public protector sets record straight
Probe Sars corruption: Union
SIU probes dodgy housing contracts
'New body has more powers to fight fraud'
Dodgy SA directors in R1.7bn con
Outcry over Eskom 'inside' deal
Apr 25 2011 08:32
A former employee allegedly used his position at Eskom to award his own company a R65m contract, and then used the utility's vehicles and equipment to deliver services.
Gautrain cost overruns remain unresolved
Apr 21 2011 16:25
Cost overruns to contractors working on the Gautrain project have not been concluded, says the Gauteng Management Agency.
New hope for SA shares
Apr 25 2011 08:37
Technical analysis shows that the threat of a "double top" in the local market may be subsiding.
Pretoria - The Public Service Commission wants to establish guidelines for minimum disciplinary steps against public servants guilty of fraud and corruption.
This follows the finding that culprits escape escape without any penalties, often with no more than a written warning. Departments rarely institute criminal charges.
The Public Service Commission has conducted a comprehensive investigation into the prevalence of corruption and related risks in the public service.
It appears that 7 766 cases have been reported to the National Anti-Corruption Hotline since its launch in September 2004. In 63% of cases the department to which they had been referred for investigation failed to give feedback. Whistleblowers who put their trust in the helpline therefore did not know whether anyone had bothered to do anything about their disclosures.
Only 15% of cases referred to provincial and national government departments were finalised.
More than 1 500 complaints were received about corruption and bribery. These included false overtime claims, claims for travelling and accommodation
expenses, bribes to get tenders, bribes given to traffic officials and bribes given to Correctional Services officials to help inmates escape.
Almost 1 000 complaints were submitted regarding abuse of state resources, chiefly government vehicles. In half of these cases government vehicles were allegedly used recklessly and the speed limit exceeded, while 35% of them dealt with using government vehicles as taxis. Other charges related to stealing petrol from these vehicles or abuse of petrol cards.
The Public Service Commission found departments’ attitudes to fraud and corruption generally reactive. This was not a significant component of risk management and there was no inclination to create an environment discouraging this sort of behaviour.
What was most concerning to the Public Service Commission was where officials had the discretion to investigate allegations of corruption but swept them under the carpet.
Departmental capacity to investigate allegations of fraud and corruption – especially at provincial level, where 70% of public servants are employed and most of the basic services are rendered – is sadly lacking.
If investigations are indeed conducted, officials are suspended for long periods on full pay, which is at variance with regulations. If they are found guilty they generally receive light punishment, such as a written warning, and the matter is not reported to the police.
The Public Service Commission recommends:
- that internal controls be strengthened;
- that accounting officers include corruption in their risk analysis;
- that department heads be held responsible if disciplinary investigations take longer than 60 days;
- that the Minister of Public Service and Administration set guidelines for minimum disciplinary steps – cases must be reported to the police immediately
after notification so that internal and external investigations can take place simultaneously; and
- that the ability to investigate cases should be boosted across the entire public service with a centralised investigative unit in each province, to which premiers must allocate resources.
For business news in Afrikaans, go to www.sake24.com.
Communities ditch ANC candidates
Polokwane - The ANC is reported to have lost 13 wards in Limpopo's Giyani area as community members nominate their own candidates for the May 18 local government elections instead of accepting the party's choice.
"There have been a lot of defections because of a lot of dissatisfaction with how the ANC handled candidates chosen by the people to represent them," said independent candidate Gezani Sithole.
Sithole was an ANC member in Ward 16 in Mininginisi village until he resigned after complaining that the ANC Mopani regional office had sidelined him in spite of the support he had from the community.
One of Sithole's supporters, Wisani Mathonsi, told community members during a campaign that the ANC had failed to deliver on countless promises.
"We are tired of false promises. It make makes no sense that you buy a cow and then at the time of collection they show you a donkey and tell you to take it. There's a big difference between a cow and a donkey, and we are tired of getting a donkey," said Mathonsi.
"The community has made its decision. In this ward we vote for only on one person and that’s Gezani Eddy Sithole," he said, to loud cheers from the supporting crowds.
Many community members said they were tired of being short-changed and that they would express their feelings at the polls.
"The people are expressing their anger over the swapping of candidates that took place in this region. They are now speaking out," said Sithole.
Provincial ANC secretary Joe Maswanganyi told African Eye News Service that former party members who resigned to independently contest the polls had not been overlooked within party ranks, but had long planned to leave.
"Those [former party members] who claim to have been overlooked are just making excuses. The truth is, they were looking for ways to run away from the ANC and this became an opportune moment for them," said Maswanganyi.
- African Eye
Read more on: elections politics polokwane anc