Saturday, December 24, 2011

Selebi won't leave hospital - doctors

Selebi won't leave hospital - doctors
2011-12-23 16:44

Related Links
Selebi briefing postponed
Selebi's health improving - department
Minister to speak on Selebi's health

Pretoria - Convicted former national police chief, Jackie Selebi, is too sick to be discharged from hospital, said correctional services commissioner, Tom Moyane, on Friday.

He said the department had been informed by doctors at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria that Selebi's condition did not permit him to be released from hospital.

Moyane, together with members of the department's executive management team, received a briefing from the team of doctors treating Selebi.

"Mr Selebi will continue to receive treatment at the hospital and his condition, at present, does not permit for his removal and re-admittance at the Pretoria Correctional Centre to continue serving his sentence due to the seriousness of his condition."

A joint press briefing on details of his health will now be held on December 28 by the team of doctors, correctional services department and Selebi's family.

The department has said Selebi is being treated for "kidney related problems".

Selebi, 61, was taken to the nephrology (kidney) ward of the northern Pretoria hospital on Monday morning under armed guard.

The disgraced former police chief was booked into prison on December 5 to start a 15-year jail term. He was found guilty of corruption after he accepted money from convicted drug trafficker Glenn Agliotti, and giving him benefits that included showing him a British drug investigation report. Selebi was president of Interpol at the time.

His appeal against his corruption conviction failed in the Supreme Court of Appeal on December 2. Selebi watched the judgment on television at home and collapsed when he heard the outcome, Coetzee said at the time.


Read more on: tom moyane | jackie selebi | pretoria | crime

No comments:

Post a Comment