Friday, January 11, 2013

Zuma 'plotters' apply for bail


Die vier selferkende regses gister in die beskuldigdebank. Van links is Mark Trollip, Martin Keevy, Johan Prinsloo en Hein Bonzaaier. Foto: Marinus Mulder
Zuma plotters remain behind bars January 11 2013 at 08:22pm By SAPA Comment on this story Independent Newspapers Bloemfontein - The bail application of four men accused of plotting to kill President Jacob Zuma was postponed in the Bloemfontein Magistrate's Court on Friday, Free State police said. A decision on the application would be handed down on January 23, Captain Harry Nagel said. Mark Trollip, Johan Prinsloo, Martin Keevy and Hein Boonzaaier are accused of planning to kill ANC leaders at the party's Mangaung conference in December last year. At a court appearance in December, State prosecutor Shaun Abrahams alleged the four were part of a group who planned “Die Slag van Mangaung” (The Battle of Mangaung) to eliminate the country's leaders. The group, along with other people, had allegedly been planning since January 2012 to establish a new right wing party, the Boere Party, and commit acts of sabotage. The Federal Freedom Party (FFP) said it was disappointed that no judgment was handed down in the bail application. “With the serious concern of their health in prison the party hoped for a decision on bail,” the party's national secretary Francois Cloete said in a statement. “The party also hoped that the process could have come to an end for the sake of the families.” Two of the accused, Boonzaaier and Prinsloo, were FFP members. They were suspended in December following their arrests. Boonzaaier was the party's president and Prinsloo its operational manager. Cloete said the party's executive members had handed affidavits to the pair's lawyers to help support their case. “The council members confirmed that no plot was planned at any meeting and that the USA trip was not used to fund a so called terror plot, but to help gain support for the white minority in South Africa.” - Sapa IOL NEWS Police make drug bust 12:25 (GMT+2), Fri, 11 January 2013 NATIONAL NEWS - A tip-off led police to seize drugs and cash with a combined value of R1 million and arrest two suspected dealers on the Cape Flats, Western Cape police said. Warrant Officer November Filander said police found 301 yellow capsules containing cocaine, tik, blocks of cocaine, a scale as well as cash at a house in Ilitha Park, Lingelethu West. "Our members arrested a 33-year-old Nigerian male and a South African female, 30, at the house. The suspects will appear in the Khayelitsha Magistrate's Court on Monday on drug related charges. GEORGE HERALD Murder trial of Free State policemen resumes 11:43 (GMT+2), Tue, 11 December 2012 NATIONAL NEWS - The trial of seven policemen charged with killing protester Andries Tatane resumed after a three-month break in the Ficksburg Regional Court on Tuesday. State prosecutor Sello Mathloko called the State's next witness, police Captain Matshidiso Lesimola, a member of the Free State public order unit. Tatane was killed in April last year, allegedly by police using rubber bullets during a service delivery protest in Ficksburg. Lesimola testified he knew all the accused. Mathloko started questioning the policeman about the day of the protest march, in which Tatane also took part. Lesimola testified to procedures usually followed when a protest march was organised in a community. This would include agreements between police and community leaders on the starting and ending times of the march and the routes. He also testified to the weapons police had with them on the day. This included a water cannon, shotguns, batons, shields and 9mm pistols. The case continues. Source : Sapa GEORGE HERALD Regse glo na KKK vir geld 2013-01-08 22:54 Artikelopsies Deel Kry Beeld op Verwante skakels Regses spog glo oor al hul wapens Regses ‘wou ANC-hoës in slag uitwis’ Kaydene Davids Bloemfontein. – Een van die vier regses wat in hegtenis geneem is omdat hulle glo die eetsaal op die ANC-konferensie in Mangaung wou opblaas, het na bewering met die Ku Klux Klan in Amerika vir finansiering vergader. Volgens die staatsaanklaer, adv. Shaun Abrahams, is Hein Bonzaaier (50) deur Johan Prinsloo (49) na Amerika gestuur om onder meer met verregse groepe, waarvan die Ku Klux Klan een was, te vergader en finansiering vir “die Slag van Mangaung” te kry. Boonzaaier, van Centurion, Mark Trollip (49) van Douglas, John Martin Keevy (47) van Port Elizabeth en Prinsloo van Mookgo­phong (Naboomspruit) het gister in die Bloemfonteinse landdroshof om borgtog aansoek gedoen. Hulle het op aanklagte van hoogverraad en sameswering om terreurverwante dade te pleeg, verskyn. Die vier wou na bewering die eetsaal vir die hooggeplaastes op die ANC-konferensie op die Bloemfonteinse kampus van die Universiteit van Vrystaat (UV) in Desember met mortiere opblaas. Abrahams het verder betoog dat die vier onder meer RPG-7-vuurpylrigters, AK 47’s, R1- en R4-aanvalsgewere, mortiere en twee bataljonne troepe sou gebruik om pres. Jacob Zuma, ministers en ander ANC-hoës te vermoor. Hulle kon egter nie betyds al dié wapens bymekaarmaak nie. Die staat het ook betoog dat daar verskeie e-pos-boodskappe en ander kommunikasie was tussen Keevy en André Visagie, leier van die verregse groep Geloftevolk Republikeine. Op verskeie vergaderings van die vier was die boodskap dat hulle hulle vir “oorlog” moes voorberei. Connie Geldenhuys het namens Trollip betoog hoewel hy beslis nie die ANC steun nie, is hy ’n wetsgehoorsame landsburger. Marius Bruwer, vir Keevy, het betoog dat hy ernstig twyfel dat die staat sy saak teen sy kliënt bo redelike twyfel sal bewys. Hy het ook betoog dat Keevy sedert sy inhegtenisneming erge hartkloppings ervaar. Johan Kramer het betoog dat die enigste volksmoord waarvan Prinsloo, sy kliënt, weet, is “die nag van lang messe”. Hy het verder betoog dat Prinsloo geen plofstof of mortiere besit of weet hoe om dit af te vuur nie. Bonzaaier het meer as 10?kg gewig verloor sedert hy van 16 Desember in aanhouding is. Hy ontken ook dat hy enigsins by “die Slag van Manguang” betrokke was. Adv. Nico Dreyer, sy regsverteenwoordiger, het aangevoer dat Boonzaaier Amerika toe is om mense van plaasmoorde bewus te maak. Al vier mans ontken dat hulle enigsins by die beplanning van “die Slag van Mangaung” betrokke was. Die borgtogaansoek word Vrydag in die Bloemfonteinse landdroshof voortgesit. BEELD anc 'buffalo soldier' The buffalo soldier @MandyRossouw 23 December 2012 10:00 4 ANC’s new deputy has already raised investor confidence in SA and the unions like him too In game-farming circles, ANC deputy president Cyril ­Ramaphosa is king of the buffaloes – he is among the top five collectors of super-buffalo in the country. In ANC circles, he is a buffalo soldier, the term that has come to symbolise black resistance, but which originally described African-American infantrymen. This week, he blended the two identities, riding to a rousing victory as ANC second-in-command and the likely next president of South Africa. Many have asked: what has Ramaphosa been doing since his exit from politics 10 years ago? He has assiduously built a R1.3-billion fortune, while maintaining relationships with trade unions, business and farmers. Ramaphosa remained a member of the powerful national executive committee (NEC) after he quit as party secretary-general in 1996 and came into the spotlight again this year when he, as chair of the ANC’s disciplinary appeals committee, put the final nail in expelled youth league president Julius Malema’s coffin. In the 16 years that he spent outside of active politics, he built constituencies that will now stand him in good stead. Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi told City Press Ramphosa’s relationship with the trade union federation remained sound despite his move into business. Ramaphosa chairs the Shanduka Group, which is 30% owned by his family trust. “It’s not like he went into business and cut ties with us,” Vavi said. He confirmed Ramaphosa continued to sponsor Cosatu conferences and other activities. “He would do that gladly,” Vavi said. Ramaphosa, who farms with expensive game, crops and cattle, regularly flew to game farms in his helicopter throughout this year, where he met some of the biggest farmers in the country, City Press was told. During these meetings he calmed fears in the farming sector over land reform and nationalisation. He recently flew in super-rich businessmen to his farms to encourage them to invest in the wildlife sector. The secret meetings took place on farms in Northern Cape between Ramaphosa, a top wildlife farmer who is also a member of Wildlife Ranching SA, and other game farmers. Danie Minnaar, a game farmer from Kroonstad and deputy chairperson of agribusiness organisation Senwes, said he asked Ramaphosa directly whether white farmers still had a place in South Africa. “He told me: ‘We need guys like you in the country. We need food. Without food, we will have a revolution. And if we have a revolution, we lose everything’,” Minnaar said. Boet Troskie, a game farmer and friend of Ramaphosa’s, said his election was the best news in years. “For the first time, I have hope again for South Africa,” said an ­excited Troskie. “He understands marketing and that is something South Africa now desperately needs. The focus needs to shift from political parties and our country needs to be ­marketed as a safe haven for ­investment. Cyril is the right man for this. He has lots of credibility.” Ramaphosa rose to prominence when the ANC was unbanned in 1990 and he became the party’s chief negotiator and an architect of the new Constitution. He quit his position as secretary-general of the ANC after Thabo Mbeki became then president Nelson Mandela’s deputy. Ramaphosa ventured into business. On Friday he gave businesspeople a taste of what his extensive experience in big business could bring to the party when he addressed a business breakfast in Mangaung. “I am sure the (credit ratings) downgrade will soon be turned into an upgrade.” Ramaphosa also urged ratings agencies to “read our policies” and not only depend on newspaper headlines. On Friday Moody’s said the ANC looked “more investor- and business-friendly than had been anticipated prior to the conference”. Ramaphosa said the ANC wanted a “mixed economy” in which the state intervenes, but only to a limited extent. He also said he would initiate a review of his business ­interests, estimated to be worth about R3 billion, to avoid conflicts of interest. Ramaphosa’s Shanduka company is ­heavily invested in a number of ­industries regulated by the state. One example of a possible conflict is the department of energy’s awarding of a 20-year R1.7 billion Karoo wind power tender to a Shanduka-Spanish joint venture. The department’s minister, Dipuo Peters, is now Ramaphosa’s junior in the ANC. – Additional reporting by Charles Smith, Vicus Burger and Pieter Steyn Mandy Rossouw and Carien du Plessis RELATED LINKS Dear Mr Zuma, this is our wish We haven’t anointed Cyril prime minister – Mantashe Buffalo soldier Ramaphosa calms fears Ramaphosa to review business interests Beaming Ramaphosa new ANC deputy president ”Gangland” | Friday 11 January 2013 13:43 A Special Assignment Investigation On Special Assignment this week we investigate the growing trend of cross-border organized crime. The team travels to northen Kwazulu–Natal where we expose a crime wave that is busy sweeping through the rural community in the small town of Manguzi. Our investigation found that the town, which is close to the Mozambican border, is the target of gangs of armed youths who terrorize the community by robbing them of their belongings and motor vehicles. Hijacked cars are then smuggled across the border into Mozambique where they are used to commit other crimes. This serious crime has been allowed to flourish with very little police interviention. This dispite claims from the community that the culprits are known to them and reported to the police. We bring you the dramatic story of Danny Govender who was hijacked and abducted in December 2012 with his domestic worker, Promise Dlamini. The hijackers drove around with them in the car for hours before dropping them off in the thick bush near the Mozambican border. The devastating ordeal has left Danny severely traumatized and has led to health complications. We also expose a number of criminal activities along the border where gangs have torn down the fence, smuggling hijacked vehicles into Mozambique. This despite the South African Defence Force doing regular patrols along the border. We confront the police on the rising crime in the area and try to establish why nothing has been done to address it. Our journey takes us along the car smuggler’s route across the border into Mozambique as we travel through sandy roads from Ponta do Ouro to Maputo. In the capital we uncover the devastating effects of organised crime in the region. Authorities allege that Maputo has become a hotbed of drug trafficking and money laundering, involving a powerful clique of Asian businessmen. We question Mozambican police about organised crime that can destabilise the region, compromise citizens’ safety and security. We also capture on camera transactions taking place on the black market at Estrela, where stolen goods are sold openly. “Gangland” is produced by Frank Ferro and will air Thursday, 17 January 2013 at 9pm on SABC 3. For more information contact: Special Assignment office: (011) 714-6757/8 Acting Executive Producer: Adel van Niekerk – 082 510 0438 SABC Zuma 'plotters' apply for bail 2013-01-08 22:07 (Picture: Shutterstock) Multimedia · User Galleries · News in Pictures Send us your pictures · Send us your stories Video Four tried to kill Zuma, court hears 2012-12-19 09:12 Four right wing Afrikaans men have been charged with high treason after they allegedly attempted to use explosives to kill ANC leaders and members at Mangaung. Watch.WATCH Related Links 4 charged over plot to 'execute' Zuma Four tried to kill Zuma, court hearsWATCH FFP questions evidence in terror case kalahari.com Zuma: A Biography But of course Zuma has been at the epicentre of South African politics, and his life has spilt... Was R298.57 Now R209.00 BUY NOW Johannesburg - Four men accused of plotting to kill President Jacob Zuma applied for bail in the Bloemfontein Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, SABC news reported. The State argued the right wing extremists had intended to exploit differences between the ANC and its youth league, prior to the party's national elective conference in Mangaung in December. At their last appearance in December, State prosecutor Shaun Abrahams alleged the four - Mark Trollip, Johan Prinsloo, Martin Keevy and Hein Boonzaaier - were part of a group who planned "Die Slag van Mangaung" (The Battle of Mangaung) to eliminate the country's leaders. The group, along with other people, had allegedly been planning since January 2012 to establish a new right wing party, the Boere Party, and commit acts of sabotage. The bail application was postponed to Friday. SAPA - - - COMMENTS BY SONNY - - “Die Slag van Mangaung” (The Battle of Mangaung) to eliminate the country's leaders. SOME MORE CRIME TO START 2013. On Saturday Zuma and his Manaung Comrades will be cutting ' left over cake' for the masses at Kings Park Durban. WILL MORE "ZUMA PLOTTERS" BE ARRESTED BEFORE THEN? Organised Crime drives these HOODS! Crime has no colour and is not Racist! Most of these 'conspiracies' are one year old. There was only one "Buffalo Soldier Unit" in the SA Border Wars headed by Col Jan Breytenbach. Cyril Ramaphosa was definitely not a member of that unit. He may have been in the UDM at most.

No comments:

Post a Comment