AFRICA CHECK SOUTH AFRICA 16 OCTOBER 2013 09:35
The leader of the African National Congress in South Africa’s Western Cape Province has claimed that 98% of landowners in the city of Cape Town are white and “people in the Jewish community”. But, as Africa Check discovered, South African property records only listed the race of owners prior to 1994 and not their religion. Researched by Raymond Joseph for AFRICA CHECK.
Is there any evidence to support Fransman’s claims?
‘Impossible’ to determine the race of property owners
- the Protea Assurance Building, owned by Oasis, “a black-owned, Sharia-compliant company”;
- the Waldorf Building, which is “privately owned by Mr Moosa Baba of Cameroon”;
- 35 Wales Street, which is owned by the Government Employee Pension Fund;
- Golden Acre, owned by Growthpoint Properties, a JSE listed company;
- Grand Central Building, owned by Ascension Properties, “a black-managed and substantially black-owned JSE listed company”.