Alleged Cape Town underworld boss killed
Maygene de Wee, Die Burger
Cape Town - The possible release on parole this year of 65 top members of different Western Cape gangs has sparked fears of an increase in gang violence in the province.
Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz said on Wednesday he was worried about what the release of these top gang leaders could mean, especially in the light of the recent assassination of a gang leader in Cape Town.
Information made public on Wednesday revealed that Cyril Beeka, the alleged crime boss who was killed on Monday near the University of the Western Cape, had heard in January that his name appeared on a hit list.
Fritz said it was the community's right to know that the 65 men would all be released on parole this year. He would not, however, reveal the names of the 65.
Fritz said the names of people released on parole could only be revealed by the minister of correctional services.
Fritz's concern followed renewed gang violence which began about two weeks ago in Lavender Hill, Retreat and Steenberg.
He said his biggest fear was that violence would erupt in the areas to which the 65 would return.
"Look what happened last year in Hanover Park when a gang leader was released. There was renewed violence as he tried to extend his territory."
Fritz also revealed that several roleplayers met on Wednesday morning to discuss gang violence in several residential areas on the Cape Flats.
The minister said he was satisfied with the outcome of the meeting, which was even attended by Pagad.
He said one of the strategies which was agreed upon, was to put community police forums to better use for intelligence purposes.
Communities would also be encouraged to join neighbourhood watches, while better and more visible policing would be promoted.
- Die Burger
Read more on: crime cape town albert fritz cyril beeka