Monday, March 7, 2011

Protector 'visit' probe continues

Protector 'visit' probe continues
2011-03-07 11:04

Related LinksProtector raid cops suspended
Protector raid criticised
Police to probe protector raid
Cops raid public protector's offices
Govt scrutinising protector's police report
Cele must explain, says protector
Public protector: Cele acted unlawfully

Johannesburg - The investigation into a controversial visit by two police officers to the Public Protector's offices last week is still under way, police said on Monday.

"The investigation is still under way," said Brigadier-General Nonkululeko Mbatha.

On Wednesday, two police officers arrived at Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's offices.

They asked for a document which featured in a Sunday Times report two weeks ago and which Madonsela's office said the police themselves handed over to her for her investigation.


It related to allegations that National Police Commissioner General Bheki Cele was caught up in an improper R500m lease agreement for new police headquarters.

Mbatha would not go into the specifics of the investigation, but said that Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa and Cele, who spoke about matters of state regularly, were treating this matter as one of national importance.

Mthethwa has asked Cele for an explanation for the visit.

Madonsela has received an apology from Cele, which she followed up with a request for formal clarification of what happened.

Meanwhile, the Independent Complaints Directorate is assessing a request for an investigation that they received from the African Christian Democratic Party on Friday.


Read more on: police | icd | thuli madonsela | bheki cele | nathi mthethwa

No comments:

Post a Comment